|• Marriage Preparation
|• Aisle Runner
|• Bird Seed, Balloons?
• Weddings During Lent
• Unity Candle
A minimum of nine months is required for marriage preparation. Please call Tina Skubon in the rectory office for more information, 717.392.2578 x1001.
Preparation will include at least two meetings between the couple and the celebrant and the choice of either of the following:
- The parish-based mentoring process with approximately five meetings with a mentor couple and a one-day program God’s Plan for a Joy-Filled Marriage (cost $160).
- An Engaged Encounter Weekend, a weekend away with other engaged couples (cost $390).
- Baptismal Certificate. A newly-issued baptismal certificate must be obtained from the church of baptism for Catholic person(s) within six months of the wedding.
- Witnesses. The bride and groom must each provide two witnesses for testimony of freedom to marry. This must be done in person with the pastor. They may call the rectory to schedule an appointment.
- Marriage License. Obtain a marriage license within sixty days of your wedding. For more information, go to go the the county website.
- Altar. Depending upon the liturgical season, there may or may not be flowers on the altar. If you decide to purchase flowers for your wedding, the flowers must remain on the altar after the wedding.
- Pews. Bows or flowers may be hung on the pews as long as no adhesive or damaging wires are used. There are 21 rows of pews.
- Rose Petals. Flower girls are permitted to toss flower petals, but provisions must be made by the bride/groom to clean up immediately after the ceremony.
The altar candles will be lit for the ceremony.
Runners are permitted. It is the responsibility of the bride/groom to roll it up after the ceremony. The aisle is approximately 75 feet. No adhesives of any kind may be used to hold the aisle runner to the floor.
- Garage. The parking garage across the street from St. Mary’s is privately owned by Lancaster Newspapers. There are two options for weddings: (1) Guests can park and pay individually at $2 per hour, or (2) the wedding party may prepay for their guests. The cost depends on length of time. For more information on the second option, contact Lancaster Parking Authority at 717.299.0907.
- Schoolyard. Depending upon other church events that may be occurring at the same time as your wedding, there may be some limited parking available in the schoolyard behind the school/convent.
A personalized video of your wedding can be produced. The cost is $200. Please make prior arrangements with Don Peris, firstname.lastname@example.org or 717.333.1947.
The Bishop promulgated a document on wedding ceremonies that excludes the use of the unity candle in the Church. It is suggested that couples who want the unity candle do so at the reception in conjunction with the meal blessing and the toasts. For an outline of such a reception ceremony, please contact Tina Skubon in the rectory office.
- Bird Seed, Rice, Balloons, Etc. With the exception of bubbles, tossing items at the bride and groom or releasing balloons in the air is not permitted.
- Weddings during Lent. Weddings do not usually take place during Lent. If special approval is given, flowers and other decorations are very simple. For example, very few candles are lit, if there are flowers, they need to be removed after the wedding, etc.
- Holy Communion at Wedding and Funeral Masses
Please discuss with the celebrant at the first meeting or speak with Tina Skubon in the rectory office, 717.392.2578.